The most-loved Caterpillar in the world is hungry…Very Hungry! Find and eat all of the Caterpillar’s favorite foods while you learn the fundamentals of numbers and counting, in this beautiful, interactive math game for kids aged two years and up. (Even adults will like playing level five!)
This game has five levels of increasing difficulty. There’s a variety of things to try and different skills to practice, all building a basic math foundation. The Caterpillar will ask you to eat familiar foods from The Very Hungry Caterpillar book. Tap on them to punch out a hole, and find out if you did it right. The music is by Mozart, the art is by Eric Carle, and the game is by the creators of the renowned Peekaboo Barn. We designed it to entertain your child while gradually developing their number skills.
– LEVEL 1: Counting. This level teaches cause and effect and introduces the concept of counting. Kids will also practice with the names and symbols for numbers one through twelve.
– LEVEL 2: Vocabulary. In this level kids identify fruit and food within a larger set of different foods, deciding which food to eat and what to leave untouched.
– LEVEL 3: Quantity. Identify a specific amount of fruit and food within a larger set. For example, see twelve plums but only eat five. Unlike Level 1, kids can’t just tap everything they see!
– LEVEL 4: Addition. Count and eat a specific number of different foods within a set. For example: See five apples, two slices of salami, one ice-cream cone, and four lollipops. Children must eat just one lollipop and two apples. When they do, they will learn they took three bites: this introduces the basic concept of addition.
– LEVEL 5: The Game. Now put all your skills together—with a time limit! Fruits and foods keep sliding into view while kids try to eat what the Caterpillar asks them to find. There is only one minute, so think (and eat) fast! *Points are awarded for each correct food that is found, reinforcing basic addition skills.
We were surprised that even toddlers were loving the first levels, while we’ve been playing Level 5 ourselves. What’s more, the game is localized in Dutch, German, French, Spanish, and Japanese! Practice your numbers and food words in other languages too. Enjoy!
*UK English is coming shortly in an update.
If you like Counting with the Caterpillar, be sure to check out our other Eric Carle app, My Very First app, based on the My Very First book series and Richard Scarry’s Busytown. For more information on our upcoming releases:
Follow us on Facebook: www.facebook.com/nightanddaystudios
Night and Day Studios is a member of Moms with Apps, a collaborative group of family-friendly developers seeking to promote quality apps for kids and families.
Free for a limited time, get it here!